Visit our shop for all your business document and agreement needs!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Are Entrepreneurs Born or Made?
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
RE: Are Entrepreneurs Born or Made?
LinkedIn Groups
Group: The Top Consultant
Discussion: Are Entrepreneurs Born or Made?
I dont know if they are born or made. I do believe though it is to do with particular traits , behaviors, belief systems and a innate desire to achieve. I do also believe environments have to be conducive for nurturing that spirit . It is very easy to undermine the desire for achievement, inclusive of enterpreneurial drive and spirit. Perhaps that is also why location, location, location is important.

Posted by Retna Wheater
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
LinkedIn Groups
I guess one could say I have been a serial entrepreuneur but with no great success to call upon. I seem to get caught up with the politics of living. One thing for sure I have in common with your grandfather though is that I get bored quickly and often.

Posted by Retna Wheater
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
LinkedIn Groups
One of the traits I've identified is fearlessness, and especially political
and social fear. he didn't give a rats @@s of what people thought of him
and his crazy ideas. When he got one, he obsessed over it until fruition,
and after that he got bored, when creative activities weren't aloud any
more, thats when he changed to the new thing. Every Monday morning was
panic morning at his office, when everybody feared "what's the old man
gonna bring us today to do...!"
@ Retna, My only advice to you based on your comment, you could be jumping
ship way too early, you should get obsessed over something you have full
creativity based on knowledge, and go at it head on until fruition. Please
forgive me, but I could believe you're more serially bored, than a serial
entrepreneur, again, based on YOUR comment. I do get bored very easily, so
I can relate.
I also know what it takes to be real entrepreneur, and I haven't been able
mainly because of my own fears, and the social and political stigmas my
grandfather could handle, and I just haven't been able to, thus I'm not an
entrepreneur. I have trained and helped many, started businesses myself,
but I cannot call myself a real entrepreneur, not yet.

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:20:33 +0000

Posted by Mauricio Geraud
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
LinkedIn Groups
I think you are probably right, about me being serially bored. However I think in the nurture versus nature debate, the impact of environment does seriously impact on outcomes, achievements, and progress at least that has been my experience . I understand the fears, (socio- economic, or political ) you mention only from my lived experiences. I have overtime taken up many creative activities, one after another, partly out of interest, aspiration, and boredom. I am definitely not going to give up that easily on this one. Although I am planning something else also soon.

Posted by Retna Wheater
08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
to quote Gandhi: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." This includes the school system and the choices you make for educating your children. Teach them to ask questions and then ask more questions. Its the asking that matters more than the answers. The school system will not change unless we (businesses/parents/educators/tax payers) make it change. If we don't, this country will fall even more behind in the global marketplace. "The important thing is not so much that every child should be taught, as that every child should be given the Wish to Learn." John Lubbock

Posted by RICK JOHN
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
LinkedIn Groups
Group: Business Consulting Buzz Group
Made...
We all get 'given' talents...how it's developed is up to so many things... Other people, circumstance, dreams, hunger for realization, etc. your comments about the schooling system has just put things into perspective for me. As an 'entrepreneur' I then have an even bigger responsibility than I first thought as my daughter starts 'big school' in 2013 ! Developing a future leader is ALL up to me...not just partly !

Posted by Yavi Madurai
09-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Greg Batte • THE ROOT OF ALL ENTREPRENEURIAL DEVELOPMENT STEMS FROM PASSIONATE DESIRE. SO, THE QUESTION NOW BECOMES WAS THE ENTREPRENEUR BORN WITH A BURNING DESIRE? I DO NOT BELIEVE SO.
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Jyoti Prakash Haldar • I think Entrepreneurs can be made to the certain level, but, Great Entrepreneurs are Born! Thanks Rafik for sharing your valuable thoughts!

Paul J. Lockett (Lion 522+) • The is at the core of my belief. I think it is genetic but does not come out until the opportunity presents itself. This is why I volunteer time at the incubators in Durham to give these people the help they need but can not yet pay for. They have great value to offer in return and it is not money.

Paul J. Lockett (Lion 522+) • I read all your stuff and I still believe you can not teach someone to be an Entrepreneur if they don't have the genes - DNA for it. You have great stuff to teach. Show me where you teach someone, who is a follower genetically and made them into a leader. If you can show me that, I will be interested.